Skillet Potatoes and Turnips with Bacon
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon slices, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds white-skinned potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Mix 1/4 cup water, vinegar, and sugar in small bowl. Combine oil and bacon in heavy large skillet; sauté over medium-high heat until fat is rendered, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add turnips and potatoes; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sea salt and toss 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until vegetables are almost tender, stirring and turning vegetables occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Push vegetables to 1 side of skillet. Pour vinegar mixture into cleared space. Toss vegetables with vinegar mixture. Spread vegetables in even layer in skillet; cook until golden and slightly crisp on bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn vegetables over; spread in even layer and cook until browned and slightly crisp on bottom, about 4 minutes. Continue to turn, spread, and cook vegetables until tender, golden, and crisp around edges, 7 to 8 minutes longer. Season with more sea salt and black pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with parsley.
Tracie's Community Farm, LLC http://traciesfarm.com/wordpress/