Cabbage Soup With Tomato
Write a review
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 4 to 5 cups, packed, 1/4-inch wide sliced green cabbage (from about 1 small cabbage or 1/2 large cabbage)
- 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon salt (more or less depending on the saltiness of your stock)
- About 1 lb of tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock or veggie stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Read more: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cabbage_soup/#ixzz3EKfkXxW2
- Heat olive oil and butter in a 4-quart, thick bottomed pot on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and stir in the ground spices. Cook until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced cabbage to the pot and stir to mix the cabbage with the onions. If you are using unsalted stock, sprinkle the cabbage with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the tomatoes, with their juices, to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock to the pot. Bring to a simmer and taste for salt. Add more salt to taste. Lower the heat and cover the pot. Let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cabbage is thoroughly cooked.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to serve.
Tracie's Community Farm, LLC http://traciesfarm.com/wordpress/